Susanna Robar Ministries
Defining Sexual Violence
In some localities, the terms rape and
sexual assault are used interchangeably. However,
today sexual violence is a more widely accepted term.
Definition: sexual violence is any act (verbal and/or
physical), which breaks a person’s trust and/or safety
and is sexual in nature. It includes over 200
classifications. Any sexual assault is an act of
violence where sex is used as a weapon.
Sexual Assault Statistics
- Every two minutes someone in America is sexually assaulted.
- 1 out of every 6 women in America has been the victim of rape sometime in her lifetime; attempted or completed.
- 1 in 33 men are victims of sexual assault in the US.
- 44% of rape victims are under age 18, and 80% are under age 30.
- College-aged women are four times more likely to be the victim of sexual assault.
- 15% of sexual assault and rape victims are under the age of 12.
- 93% of juvenile sexual assault victims know their attacker. Children usually do not report a crime when it involves people they know - i.e., people with whom they feel comfortable.
- More than HALF of sexual assaults go unreported.
...three times more likely to suffer from depression.
...six times more likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.
...thirteen times more likely to abuse alcohol.
...twenty-six times more likely to abuse drugs.
...four times more likely to contemplate suicide.
to the Victim
In an effort to protect ourselves, we sometimes view the perpetrator as someone we could easily recognize, i.e.,
a creepy looking guy driving a dirty brown van; or as a person coming out of a blind, dark corner, taking us unaware. In contrast to this scenario of false security, more than two thirds of all reported rapes were
perpetrated by a person who was known to the victim.
- 73% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger:
38% of perpetrators were a friend or acquaintance of the victim;
- 28% were an intimate partner;
- 7% were another relative.
DEFINITIONS AND STATISTICS COURTESY OF RAINN:
RAPE, ABUSE, AND INCEST NATIONAL NETWORK
For more statistics, visit: http://www.rainn.org/statistics
Arise, O sleeper . . . and God will give you light.
E-mail: [email protected]
© 1998-2016 Susanna Shutz Robar